Saturday 15 May 2010

Daring Cooks May 2010: Quick Chicken Mole Enchiladas

Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on http://www.finecooking.com/ and written by Robb Walsh.

Ok, so that's what I was supposed to be cooking, but trying to find fresh Anaheim chillis or tomatillos is absolutely impossible here, without paying some ridiculous price and getting them from the Internet. So I tried something else, on the same sort of theme but without the two impossible ingredients. It also gave me an excuse to try a dish that I have wanted to make for a very long time, mole. I used one of the recipes for mole suggested in the original Daring Cooks post from food network Quick Chicken Mole and adapted it using the ingredients I could get hold of. Then I made it into kind of enchiladas, I suspect they can't actually be called enchiladas but I worked on that basic theme.

Can I also apologise for the bizarre streaky light on these photos I didn't notice until I put them on my computer and by then it was too late! But this dish was so tasty, I couldn't taste the chocolate at all, which is what I was worried about, instead it was nicely spicy and very tasty.


Quick Chicken Mole Enchiladas
(Serves 8)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 (10-ounce) can chicken stock
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 (5-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
8 tortillas
grated cheddar cheese
sour cream

Preheat oven to 200C.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and spices and continue to saute to toast and develop flavor. Add diced tomatoes, peppers, stock, peanut butter, and chocolate. Simmer for 10 minutes.



Strain and puree until smooth.



Sear the chicken in a heavy bottomed hot saute pan over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Add to casserole dish, cover with sauce and braise the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the chicken and shred. Put some of the shredded chicken in each tortilla and roll it up tucking in the ends. Lay these in an oven proof dish and spread over some sour cream and then sprinkle over some grated cheese.



Bake in the oven for about 20 mins at 200C until the cheese has melted.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures may not be up to your standard but they gave an excellent idea of how you went about the challenge. I love the color of the mole and hope it tasted as good as it looks. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use chocolate, well, cocoa, in chili and you can't taste it. So it doesn't surprise me that you can't in a Mole either.}:P Lovely final dish!

    ReplyDelete